These beans are one of my favorite add-ins for a burrito or burrito bowl!
This recipe can also be made in a crock pot. Turn the crock pot to high and add the beans and onions. Cook until the onions are translucent. Add the remaining ingredients and cook 3 to 4 hours on high or until the beans are tender. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups dried black beans
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Clean and rinse beans and place them in a large bowl. Cover with at least 2 inches of water. Allow them to soak for 12 to 24 hours.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and saute the soaked beans and onion together until the onion is translucent.
- Add water, lime juice, salt, and spices.
- Bring beans to a boil then turn the heat down to low and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, or until tender. Cooking time will vary, the older the beans the longer it will take to cook.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- These are delicious as a side dish or in a burrito or burrito bowl.