Oven Fried Falafel
Cuisine Gluten-Free Category Beans and Rice Cold Lunches Dinner Gluten-Free Lunches Main Dishes Posts Simple Fare Supper Vegetarian
- 1 cup dry garbanzo beans
- 1/2 onion, quartered
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Gluten-free Flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- oil for frying
- Place the garbanzo beans in a bowl and cover with a few inches of water. Let stand for 12 to 24 hours. Drain.
- Place soaked garbanzo beans and the remaining ingredients in a food processor, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary, until the mixture is finely ground and holds together when pressed. Transfer the falafel mixture to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for an hour or two to let the flavors combine.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cover the bottom of a cast iron or other oven proof skillet with about 1/2 inch of oil and heat for 7 minutes in the preheated oven.
- While the oil is heating, scoop up the falafel mixture in about 1/4 cup portions and press into patties.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and use a spatula to gently place the patties in the oil. Return the skillet to the oven and bake for 7 minutes.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and use a spatula to turn the patties over and return the to oven to bake an additional 7 minutes.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and place the patties on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Return the skillet to the oven for about 3 or 4 minutes to reheat the oil and repeat the instructions to oven fry the remaining falafel patties.
- Serve hot. Tastes great alone or in a sandwich. Serve with a green salad.