Puffed Rice Granola Cereal
Cuisine Gluten-Free Category Breakfast Gluten-Free Simple Fare Snacks
When my husband was first diagnosed with gluten-intolerance in 1990, he was advised to stay away from oats as well, since there wasn't a reliable source for gluten-free oats at that time. He loved granola, so we came up with this alternative.
Ingredients such as nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, coconut, other puffed cereals and popcorn (popped and chopped in a food processor) can be exchanged with the puffed rice or pecans in equal amounts. Ingredients such as cornflour, corn meal, and buckwheat flour can be exchanged in equal amounts with the rice bran.
- 20 cups puffed rice
- 1 cup rice bran
- 3 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200 F.
- Combine puffed rice, rice bran and pecans in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring brown sugar, honey and oil to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil until mixture is foamy.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and cinnamon.
- Pour over the puffed rice mixture and toss until cereal is well coated.
- Spread cereal over two lightly oiled cookie sheets.
- Bake for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Allow cereal to cool in the oven. Store in an airtight container.