Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2-1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix
- sugar or cornstarch for flattening or rolling the cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream cream cheese, butter, and sugar together.
- Add egg and stir until well blended.
- Stir in vanilla, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
- Add gluten-free flour mix and stir until well blended.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and roll the balls in sugar.
- Arrange balls on an ungreased cookied sheet, 2-inches apart. Dip a cookie press or flat bottomed cup in sugar and press the balls, flattening to about 1/4-inch thick.
- For cut-out cookies, chill the dough for a couple of hours.
- Roll dough out on a flat surface liberally dusted with cornstarch to about 1/4-inch thick. Dust dough with cornstarch to prevent it from sticking to the rolling pin.
- Cut cookies out with a cookie cutter dipped in cornstarch.
- Arrange cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2-inches apart.
- Bake 10 - 12 minutes until they just start to brown around the outside edges.
- Let cool for about 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Leave plain or decorate as desired.